More Reasons To Visit Urgent Care Clinics For STD Testing
When it comes to testing for STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases), most people are keen on places where they can get it done quickly and discreetly. So, are urgent care clinics good places to get tested for STDs? Turns out, it is!
In fact, most people who need to get screened for STDs now prefer immediate care clinics over their primary healthcare provider or regular clinics. This is not surprising considering the numerous benefits of getting tested in urgent care facilities. Read on to learn more.
Significance of regular testing
If you are a sexually active person, you need to be extra vigilant about getting tested for STDs on a regular basis. Even if you always ensure adequate protection during physical intercourse and take precautions to prevent contracting or transmitting STDs, there are still chances of being infected with STDs. This is where urgent care STD testing all the more significant.
This is because STDs are not passed on through sexual intercourse alone. These diseases can be transmitted through sharing sex toys or through body fluids such as saliva, blood, semen or vaginal fluids. In some cases, skin to skin contact may also cause transmission of STDs.
To put it differently, using condoms can offer up to 98 percent protection from STDs like chlamydia or gonorrhea. However, condoms are ineffective against STDs such as syphilis, herpes or genital warts that are spread through skin to skin contact. So if you get infected this way, you are unlikely to be aware of it unless you are tested.
For this reason, it is recommended that you get tested at least twice every year. If you have tested positive for STDs in the past, go in for testing every three months to make sure you are free of STDs.
Why choose urgent care clinics?
When you need to get tested for HIV in Arlington, it would be a great idea to visit your nearest urgent care facility. First of all, these facilities are less expensive compared to regular clinics or hospitals. The working hours of immediate care clinics are highly flexible to accommodate the busy schedule of students or working professionals.
Best of all, you need not book an appointment or wait for your turn at these clinics. It is as easy as walking in, requesting an STD screening, getting it done and accessing results on the same day (in most cases). You can also rest assured about your privacy since these clinics do not share personal information with anyone, not even with your family physician.
STD tests offered by urgent care clinics
These are a few of the urgent care STD testing options available at immediate care facilities:
• Chlamydia testing: This is one among the most widespread STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections) affecting individuals across different age groups in the US. Samples of urine or other body fluids are required for chlamydia testing.
• HIV/AIDS testing: A blood test is usually conducted to test for the presence of HIV antibodies. In some cases, saliva or urine may also be tested.
• Gonorrhea testing: Samples or urine or body fluids are collected to detect this bacterial infection.
• HPV/Genital warts testing: This testing involves physical examination. Although HPV infections are common, most affected individuals do not develop warts.
• Herpes testing: This infection generally causes genital sores in affected individuals. It can be detected by testing urine, blood or fluid samples.
• Syphilis testing: You can get screened for syphilis by testing a sample of blood, tissue or body fluid.
Many urgent care STD testing centers now offer a comprehensive panel of STD tests at affordable rates. They also offer reliable treatment in case you test positive. Remember to inform your partner if you are positive so that he/she too can get tested and seek treatment is necessary. Until the tests show you are clear of STDs or STIs, it is recommended that you abstain from physical relations.